How Does One Handle Being Bullied?
Question: My son is being bullied at school and told to commit suicide. How do I handle this?
Answer: First, contact the proper authorities. God gave them their authority for our protection. (Romans 13: 1-4)
Second, teach your son not to return evil for evil, but to overcome evil with good. (Romans 1: 17-21) Christ was bullied more severely than anyone and showed us how to handle it righteously.
- He withdrew Himself from His oppressors when appropriate (John 7:1, 10:39, 11:53-54).
- He showed His oppressors pity and a forgiving spirit (Luke 23:34).
- He taught and practiced returning good for evil (Matthew 5: 43-44; Philippians 2: 5-6).
- He kept looking at the future joy, victory and reward for His suffering (Hebrews 12:2)
- He kept quiet and did not retaliate (Isaiah 63:7), but instead, He committed Himself and the proper vindication over to His Heavenly Father (I Peter 2:21-23).
Your son will learn, as he follows these examples, that through Christ he has more power than all those who would bully him.